Documents you need to provide.

Helping the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities.


Federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information for verifying with a "reasonable belief" that it knows the true identity of an individual seeking to enter a new relationship with the institution.

What this means for you

When you apply to open an account, or add an individual who is not currently a member of Langley Federal Credit Union, we will ask you for documentation to verify your legal name, residential address — military personnel may provide their unit of assignment — date of birth, tax identification number, and government issued photo ID.

Depending on the type of account you request, additional information may be required.

Acceptable original documents include:

Unexpired Federal, State, or Local government-issued identification cards bearing a photograph, such as: Federal, State, or Local government-issued documents without a photograph, such as:
Driver's License. Social Security card.
Armed Forces ID Card. Birth Certificate issued by a federal jurisdiction, territory, or U.S. state.
Uniformed Services ID and Privelege Card. Leave and Earnings Statement (LES).
US Passport. U.S. military orders, etc.
NASA Badge.  
Virginia Personal ID Card with issue date of September 21, 2001 or later.  

Documents must show:

Legal Name — The document must include the full first name, the middle name or initial if there is a middle name or initial, the last name, and the suffix if there is one (e.g., John Q. Public, Jr.).

Date of Birth — The date of birth must be taken from an acceptable document. All documents showing the date of birth must agree, or the documents are unacceptable.

Address — The residential address must be verified from an acceptable document. In addition to acceptable government-issued documents showing the individual's address (e.g., Driver's License), mail addressed to the individual and recently delivered to the individual's residential address by the U.S. Post Office (e.g., utility bill, credit card bill, etc.) is acceptable. Mail indicating a post office box, box number, or just the "#" and a number (e.g., 49 Spruce St #789) is not acceptable.

Identification Number — Documentation showing the individual's Tax Identification Number (TIN) must be provided. This number can be either a Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN) for organizations.

Notes for military personnel:

Individuals in the military not stationed overseas may provide documentation showing their unit of assignment (e.g., address side of their LES, official government orders assigning them to their current unit, etc.) if they do not or cannot receive mail where they live (e.g., residing in barracks and receiving mail at the LAFB Spruce Street address).

Individuals in the military and stationed overseas may provide any mail addressed to the individual at an Army Post Office (APO) or Fleet Post Office (FPO) box number.

The act requires all financial institutions to maintain record of the documents used to verify your identity, so we will be photocopying relevant portions of the documents you provide. Confidentiality of the information collected by the credit union will be maintained as required under the Privacy Act.